What this blog is REALLY about....

Growing up in upstate New York I intrinsically figured that there could be no more a hick town than the one I grew up in. Then my family up and moved us to Minnesota where I was sorely proven wrong. That first year living here, and the next few to follow, was a nightmare not only because our family had to make a lot of unwanted changes and adjustments, but because it was a time of grieving for everything that we had left behind: our roots, our identity, our home. And we had to do it alone.



I high tailed it out of here at the age of twenty-one, swearing to myself that I would never, ever return. I had my adventures, I did, of drifting from state to state, desperately trying to find a place where I could re-invent myself and call it home. But it failed me. Two years ago (going on three), I had no choice but to return. So here I am, again, in this place that first chewed me up and spit me out. I’m now beginning to slowly grow permanent roots in this land, but I still find it quite damaging to my spirit.



However, as much as I hate Minnesota for what it did to my family fifteen years ago, I’m desperately trying to discover Its redeeming qualities. I’ve decided that if I’m going to stay here, I need to make this marriage work.



So. After an enlightening afternoon of drifting thoughts, I came up with an idea….



Twelve years ago I stood under a wintry night sky and saw twelve shooting starts twelve days before Christmas. Twelve is a personal number for me, so, twelve it is. I have decided to choose twelve places, cities, landmarks throughout the entire state of Minnesota to visit and write about here on this blog. My goal is to finish this within one year. In each place I travel to I will write an extensive, hopefully amusing, essay on my experiences. Some of it will be educational and informative on Minnesota’s history and wildlife and culture, and much of it will be about my personal growths. And most of it, I’m afraid, will be a lot of blunt, honest, offensive opinions. Take it or leave it. I’m trying to love your State; I really, truly am.

Friday, June 4, 2010

Saint Francis of Assisi

The town of St. Francis is a little river town that was settled in 1855. That, is not very interesting. Let’s be frank. Actually, forget Frank. Old Jonathan and Otona were the early names given to this little river town before a very important man christened it St. Francis. Father Luis Hennepin it was, a catholic priest and missionary of the Franciscan Recollect order, a man who can take credit for the exploration of much of North America. Interestingly enough he is credited for bringing the world’s attention to two great waterfalls in our country. First, Niagara Falls in New York. Second, Saint Anthony Falls in what is now Minneapolis, the only waterfall on the great Mississippi. Interesting. New York, Minnesota, New York, Minnesota, New York, Minnesota, New Yor…….. Saint Francis himself (yes, he was a real man), was one of seven children. A sacred number, but none the less, sibling rivalry must’ve been rather oppressive. Especially after he became a saint…. I can’t imagine what sort of competition is involved when one of your siblings becomes a saint. I think getting ma and pa’s attention after that is a little futile. Not to mention that in the 1100’s they probably didn’t have any therapists. At least not any with the drugs offered to us today. Anyway. Saint Francis was a man who at first found life to be about nothing more than selfish pleasures (parties and the sort), and spent a great deal of his young adulthood frolicking with his buddies and reeking havoc in the local town doings. At that time, I can only assume this entailed drinking an awful lot of Italian wine and, I don’t know, tying people’s donkey’s ears together or something. Tipping the meat carts. Tying their sandals together and throwing them up on clothes lines. Actually, it was probably more like drinking a lot of Italian wine and….drinking a lot of Italian wine. But then there was something quite significant that happened, and it transformed him and his entire life forever. It was a simple thing, really, but none the less it was still the moment he realized that he was meant for something greater than partying with his friends. He was in the street market selling his fairly wealthy father’s cloths and linens when an old beggar came asking for alms. Francis had denied the beggar anything until the very end of his business day; having sold everything he could he abandoned his left over merchandise to chase down the beggar. When he found him, he gave him everything in his pockets. Francis returned home and was not only taunted by his friends, but was horrendously reprimanded by his father. None the less, it begat a new life of poverty for Francis, one in which he chose willingly. He spent the rest of his life devoted to having a lack of material possessions, did charitable deeds such as nursing lepers, and found a calling to commune with nature and the like, doing what he knew he had to do to better God’s world. He claims to have had a vision of Jesus Christ saying to him, “Francis, Francis, go and repair my house which, as you can see, is falling into ruins.” Because of this, it seems, he was seen as a gifted advocate for bringing peace between man and nature, caring very much about the environment. And those who follow in the Franciscan ways believe in the same values, such as our before mentioned explorer, Father Hennepin. So, Saint Francis, both town and man, have a slightly stretched connection to my own self. I’m in no shape or form a saint, nor am I that religious. That is certainly not what I mean to say… But the Franciscan order seems to be something I find myself embracing in some shape or form now and again. I’ve been poor. Certainly not by choice, because frankly I’d rather be rich (this is why I’m not a saint….). And I care very much about the natural order of things, the environment, and the value of all life. All life, from the greatest pine to the smallest ant. And Father Hennepin, founder of Niagara and Saint Anthony, wanted to honor his Franciscan order by naming a town after this extraordinary saint. St. Francis, Old Jonathon, Otona. I’ve always believed that names, the christening of anything, is a spiritual and very important deed. This little town, not much more than a post office, an old inn and pub, a gazebo in a park, and a river that winds through it, has had more of a spiritual beginning than the current population probably even knows. And this is definitely something that I, as a rather spiritual person myself, can most certainly embrace. I invite anyone else to do the same.

6 comments:

  1. Hello, I found you from Blogfrog.I'm following you now.

    please join my community and visit my blog if you have chance for exchange our Quality time!

    http://theblogfrog.com/1233755
    http://beonefineday.blogspot.com

    Have a great day.
    Nan

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like this post Jessica! I've always known that I liked St. Francis because he chose a life of poverty, which is appealing to me, but I never knew his history. Thanks!

    Have you heard of or seen the sign for Pacim in Terris? It's a Franciscan retreat center North of St. Francis on 47. Here's the link: http://www.paceminterris.org/
    I want to go there someday because it sounds pretty amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. thank you, Nyki! And yes! I HAVE seen "Pacim in Terris"! I actually remember seeing it for the very first time when we moved here, and wondering what on earth it was... After fifteen years, I finally know now! Thank you so much. I will definately be checking this place out. And I hope you join me!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Nan. I'm now following your blog too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. attempt to leave a comment #5....
    (Rin)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is funny, Rin, so I'm leaving it here!

    ReplyDelete

Merlin's Rest

My Minnesota in Winter

The Renaissance Festival

The Renaissance Festival

Stink Bugs and Apples

Poison Ivy

Poison Ivy

Skin damage from the poison ivy and the meds

Apple River Hideaway

The Hairy Mosquito

Roseau MN

Pioneer Days '10

My Minnesota