What this blog is REALLY about....

Growing up in upstate New York I intrinsically figured that there could be no more a hick town than the one I grew up in. Then my family up and moved us to Minnesota where I was sorely proven wrong. That first year living here, and the next few to follow, was a nightmare not only because our family had to make a lot of unwanted changes and adjustments, but because it was a time of grieving for everything that we had left behind: our roots, our identity, our home. And we had to do it alone.



I high tailed it out of here at the age of twenty-one, swearing to myself that I would never, ever return. I had my adventures, I did, of drifting from state to state, desperately trying to find a place where I could re-invent myself and call it home. But it failed me. Two years ago (going on three), I had no choice but to return. So here I am, again, in this place that first chewed me up and spit me out. I’m now beginning to slowly grow permanent roots in this land, but I still find it quite damaging to my spirit.



However, as much as I hate Minnesota for what it did to my family fifteen years ago, I’m desperately trying to discover Its redeeming qualities. I’ve decided that if I’m going to stay here, I need to make this marriage work.



So. After an enlightening afternoon of drifting thoughts, I came up with an idea….



Twelve years ago I stood under a wintry night sky and saw twelve shooting starts twelve days before Christmas. Twelve is a personal number for me, so, twelve it is. I have decided to choose twelve places, cities, landmarks throughout the entire state of Minnesota to visit and write about here on this blog. My goal is to finish this within one year. In each place I travel to I will write an extensive, hopefully amusing, essay on my experiences. Some of it will be educational and informative on Minnesota’s history and wildlife and culture, and much of it will be about my personal growths. And most of it, I’m afraid, will be a lot of blunt, honest, offensive opinions. Take it or leave it. I’m trying to love your State; I really, truly am.

Wednesday, February 9, 2011

February 7, 8 and...9

Okay. So I’m cheating. I’m combining three days together because I just couldn’t get around to doing day seven or eight. The most excellent thing about being an artist is that you get to break rules, and for some crazy reason people find it charming. It’s liberating because I’m not much of a rule follower.
So, I’ll leave off where I left you:
Man #5:
Ah. The man upstairs. A set of three twenty something bachelors moved in to the apartment above us: two blondes and a brunette. I can’t remember exactly how we all ended up being introduced... I know it wasn’t due to any social graces of my own (ha! What social graces?), but my roommate and I became acquainted with them. Little blonde guy was extremely intense: total meat head, obnoxious, and almost as desperate as I was. The brunette was the oddball, dope-smoker, artsy wannabe who was attracted to me. This was disappointing because he was racist and I had no interest because of it. But tall blonde guy… I’d never, ever, ever been attracted to the preppy, pretty boy blonde type. In fact, blondes alone are definitely not my sort of game. But there was something about this blonde that made me feel like my knees stopped existing and all of my confidence (what little I had to hang on to) went whipping out of sight in the wind of his grand, fantasy entrance, a golden halo nearly beaming above his golden head. Every time I saw him walk by our apartment window, heading to the laundry room, I’d gawk. Really, really gawk.
I seemed to have developed this pattern in wanting unattainable men. I could pine from afar, fantasize about the what-if’s, and then feel sorry for myself knowing that it could never be. But the truth of it is if Tall Blonde had ever actually asked me out, I would’ve run into the nearest rabbit hole and shat my pants. He was so far out of my league, so far from someone who would’ve been compatible with me, so far from someone who could’ve possibly been attracted to me. I didn’t see him with a girl like me. No way. I pictured him being with some leggy blonde in scarves and tall black boots, a girl who lived a clean living, knew a lot about pop culture, shoes, and hand bags, had a tinkling sexy laugh, and drove a red convertible. I was the frumpy, artsy brunette that smoked, knew a lot about movies and Harry Potter, and drove a Jeep with a duct taped, safety-pinned window.
I don’t know what came over me, but I was pathetically infatuated with the man upstairs. I hang out with the boys on a couple of occasions, smoking all of the racists’ brunette’s cigarettes in a poker game that I sat and watched them play, going to the bar with the blondes one night and having my ass grabbed by a four hundred pound man who claimed to be a football player (little blonde guy had actually done a gentleman act of saving me from that awful experience), and then…. The humiliation. The ultimate humiliation.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Merlin's Rest

My Minnesota in Winter

The Renaissance Festival

The Renaissance Festival

Stink Bugs and Apples

Poison Ivy

Poison Ivy

Skin damage from the poison ivy and the meds

Apple River Hideaway

The Hairy Mosquito

Roseau MN

Pioneer Days '10

My Minnesota