What this blog is REALLY about....

Growing up in upstate New York I intrinsically figured that there could be no more a hick town than the one I grew up in. Then my family up and moved us to Minnesota where I was sorely proven wrong. That first year living here, and the next few to follow, was a nightmare not only because our family had to make a lot of unwanted changes and adjustments, but because it was a time of grieving for everything that we had left behind: our roots, our identity, our home. And we had to do it alone.



I high tailed it out of here at the age of twenty-one, swearing to myself that I would never, ever return. I had my adventures, I did, of drifting from state to state, desperately trying to find a place where I could re-invent myself and call it home. But it failed me. Two years ago (going on three), I had no choice but to return. So here I am, again, in this place that first chewed me up and spit me out. I’m now beginning to slowly grow permanent roots in this land, but I still find it quite damaging to my spirit.



However, as much as I hate Minnesota for what it did to my family fifteen years ago, I’m desperately trying to discover Its redeeming qualities. I’ve decided that if I’m going to stay here, I need to make this marriage work.



So. After an enlightening afternoon of drifting thoughts, I came up with an idea….



Twelve years ago I stood under a wintry night sky and saw twelve shooting starts twelve days before Christmas. Twelve is a personal number for me, so, twelve it is. I have decided to choose twelve places, cities, landmarks throughout the entire state of Minnesota to visit and write about here on this blog. My goal is to finish this within one year. In each place I travel to I will write an extensive, hopefully amusing, essay on my experiences. Some of it will be educational and informative on Minnesota’s history and wildlife and culture, and much of it will be about my personal growths. And most of it, I’m afraid, will be a lot of blunt, honest, offensive opinions. Take it or leave it. I’m trying to love your State; I really, truly am.

Sunday, May 9, 2010

How the Hatred Began...

It all began on the hour and a half bus ride to school. The maturity level of the high schoolers was shocking for me and my younger brother. Kids our age were trying to torment the bus driver, bully five year olds, and set off smoke bombs in the back of the bus thinking it was the funniest thing in the world. This was not the way high-schoolers behaved back in our home town… Looking back at it now, I do realize that my brother and I were simply just unfortunately trapped on the bus with all the “bad kids”. Not everyone at Cambridge-Isanti High acted this way…. There were a few choice students who extended a friendly attempt (and we were grateful for it), but the majority shunned my brother and me. He was bullied and beaten for wearing his hat backwards (which was the style and way to wear it where we had come from…) being called a “wigger” (“white nigger”). I was rejected in a different sort of way. Trying to talk to and get to know other girls, I extended what I deemed to be a friendly shake of the hand. I received nothing short of that cinematic, stereotypical stuck-up sneer, that size-up of absolute rejection. So. They didn’t like outsiders apparently. Bigotry and racism was the first and foremost horrifying experience for me as I was trying to cope with living here. My classmates back home could say some stupid stereotypical things sometimes; it can’t be denied that it’s everywhere, even in Yankeeville. But absolute racism is a whole other entity. I’ll never forget my first semester’s History class, watching an educational video on our American history, when a clip came on the screen involving the KKK burning a cross in the name of their hatred, and half, HALF of my class began to whoop and holler and “hurray!” for the Ku Klux Klan. Andy was his name, sitting next to me. He was the most excited. I, was completely mortified. The teacher said nothing but a timid, “Hey now, none of that. Sit down.” And this was the teacher that went to our church. His daughter was one of few who were kind to me, probably the kindest. So. I judged him profusely. I suppose that wasn’t all too fair of me. I didn’t exactly stand up and say anything either. I just sat there, in shock. And ever since I’ve been trying to redeem myself for that moment… I soon became a bigot myself. Anyone with a cowboy hat was on my imaginary hit list. After all, it seemed to be the cowboys and the cowgirls who liked to throw the “n” word around. I was sick of seeing “KKK” written on the cafeteria wall, “nigger” written on a note posted on one of the African-American student’s locker, and I was really, really sick of seeing that damn Confederate flag being set sail on the back of giant pick up trucks. All of this made no sense to me. Minnesota is as north as north gets, right? Does someone need to give these people a map? They do realize that they’re NOT the state of Alabama… right? I still don’t understand it. Things haven’t changed all that much in the past fifteen years of my family living here, either. Racism is still a fluent language of hate in these small towns of Minnesota. I blame it on ignorance. But I also blame it on narrow mindedness and small hearts. As I grew up a little and matured, I realized that my hatred for the haters was no different than their hate. I was being just as prejudice, and being angry wasn’t going to change anything. I made a few feeble attempts of expressing my opinions on the matter. I wrote an article for the school paper, but wasn’t aggressive enough to get it published. I made a cheesy poster for a writing class that supported the idea of peace between differences, but nothing profound enough to make a real change. Junior year, the perfect opportunity came along for me to stand up for what I believed in. In my Marriage and Family class we were given computerized dolls to teach us about caring for babies. I, was given an African American one. Fate. It was fate, I told myself. I knew exactly what was going to happen when I walked through those halls with this black baby in my arms. I knew this was my chance. But my chance fell through. The girl who lived right across the street from me and her friend, Sara, had come rushing to my side in the open, empty school hallway to take a look at my baby. They had never given me the time of day before… They were friends with my brother but had a wonderfully cruel way of turning their noses up at me. So, to begin with I was irritated that they were suddenly interested in talking to me just because I had a novelty tucked away in baby blankets. They were squealing like pigs to look at my doll, as if I had a real baby sleeping in a car seat carrier on my arm. I was annoyed with that. I pulled back the blanket, and a new noise came pounding into my ears. It was laughter. A horrible laughter, followed by, “You have a nigger baby!” And more and more guffaws to follow. Shock, it was. I was in shock. I gave them this horrified sharp look, and the two of them went arm in arm laughing hysterically down the hall and disappeared from me before I had the chance to catch my breath and realize what just happened. The rage grew. And grew. I ended up losing it on this poor, stupid kid who did nothing but walk by my baby on the bus, tap it in the face with a marker like a dumb teenage boy would, and got off the bus leaving me to stew overnight about what I was going to do to him the following day. I was ready. I had twenty four hours to stew and brew. The rage was still fresh, and it was growing, truth be told, like an alien in my chest. It was ready to break free, man, and it was going to get ugly. And it did. I came out of the high school, sped walked to the bus as if I was going to murder the kid, caught the boy in my sight and aimed true. I grabbed him up the collar, slammed him against the window of the bus and said things to him that to this day I cannot remember. (Temporary insanity does that to you...) The bus was dead silent with the exception of my emasculating this poor creature from head to toe. The silence broke with Paul (an acquaintance) shouting out, “Kick his ass!”. So. That was not very effective. I let out steam on the wrong person and in the wrong way. And it discouraged me. I hated myself for not finding a way to utilize my anger and passion for the greater good. Through out the years after it was a pile up of other things that created this hatred for Minnesota. I didn’t fit in with the people, not at all. I had friends, oh sure. And some really wonderful ones at that. Most of which were, thankfully, outcasts and misfits just life myself. But every time I met someone new at work, held out my hand to shake theirs and watch them look at me as if I was a freak for offering to shake hands (and then did NOT extend their hand in return), I became obsessively sorry for myself for every rejection. And I also became angry. Minnesotans, in my head and heart, were rude, unfriendly, cold people through and through and I was sick of them. I was sick of the lack of manners, the lack of friendly protocols that I, as a New Yorker, grew up with. People here were nothing but passive aggressive, spineless, mean folk with no sense of properness. And so, my bigotry grew once again. I was sick of having that store door close on me for the hundredth time that week because people here aren’t polite enough to hold it for you, and I was sick of big, fat rednecks saying sexists things in the bar, and I was sick of crazy, manipulative women trying to sucker me into friendships, and I was sick of eating over at friends’ houses and people not being polite enough to wait for everyone to sit down at the table before eating, and I was sick of people staring at me blankly as I talked to them with no indication that they were listening, or understanding, or even hearing what I was saying, and I was sick of walking on eggshells around people because, heaven forbid you speak your mind! and I was sick of people having to be sneaky and manipulative to avoid confrontations, and I was sick of the phoniness when someone was actually angry with me but pretended ridiculously not to be, and I was sick of… of: all of it. I hated snowmobiles, four wheelers, tractors, and John Deer. I hated the phrases, “Goin’ up North” and “You betcha”. I hated that damn Confederate flag… flailing in the breeze going down the road…. I hated those giant pick-ups that go forty miles over the speed limit and never get pulled over. I hated that stupid, little fat man in the auto parts shop that laughed at me when I didn’t know the make of my car engine (damn sexist!). I hated the sub-zero temperatures. I hated those effing mosquitoes, and horse flies, and deer flies, and gnats, and ticks. I hated the damn poison ivy that I was cursed enough to be poisoned by. I hated that good pizza was virtually and literally non-existent and unavailable. No culture = no good food. I hated the smell of spring: it didn’t smell like New York’s thawing hills. I hated that empty space in the sky where those hills were supposed to be. I hated everything. I hated that the man I loved didn’t love me back. I hated that my family was being torn apart. I hated that I was so far away from my childhood friends, my best friend, everything I lost that I had associated with my identity. I hated that I hadn’t seen my grandparents and my aunts and uncles and cousins in years and years and years. I hated that all those traditions and ways of life of old were buried for good, gone and dead for all time. And it was all because I had to start life over in a place I did not, in any shape or form, fit in to. I blamed everything, everything on Minnesota. And that’s how it began. Judge me as you may. Be offended as you might. I recognize that my hatred is not justified. I recognize that even though my perspectives and heart have changed drastically within the past fifteen years toward my nemesis, big ‘ol MN, but I also recognize that I am not fully healed from my bigotry and resentment. I love my friends here dearly, and I’m in no place to whine anymore about “not fitting in”. I have found a comfortable little joint of misfits to belong to, and I’m grateful. But Minnesota as a whole is still a sour spot for me. And I hope to change that with this little project, journey, endeavor, reformation. Now you know how the hate began. I hope you’ll join me, help me, follow me on this way toward change.

32 comments:

  1. Wow...sounds like you really do need to move back to New York.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Um. Yeup..... But I can't. So I'm depserately trying to make due with my situation. Who knows? It could be a very enlightening adventure.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOW! Thanks for proving my point, man! Or woman... Does everyone see? This is the best comment I could have hoped for. Sigh!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for sharing this with us! I hope you stay here in Minnesota and continue to see the better side of it! Cannot wait to hear about your 12 locations! I love how people try to argue against points, but instead just prove them to be even more true! I have seen everything you have talked about in my life, but God has shown me the better side to life. Not all Minnesotans fall into your stereotype, you just need to stop looking for those characteristics and look for more positive ones!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, I don't even understand the person who wrote that stupid comment. I don't understand how Jessica trying to understand the joys of Minnesota is lazy or immature..... I don't know any other person who is that proactive about trying to better their attitude about something. And fat..... #1. How in the heck does that relate to anything... and #2. This person has obviously never seen Jessica considering that she is super small, dummy. WOAH. I'm so crabby right now. I also love that this person says that Jessica needs help..... you read an article online and feel the need to follow it up by calling the author offensive names? With that maturity level I'm surprised that you were able to read the article. Actually, you probably didn't read the article, you probably just made it to the title and that's why you're so angry. Ok, angry Nyki needs to exit and get a little happier....

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank for the kind comment "Annonymous"!! I DO really see a lot of good in this state, and realize that a lot of my "hatred" is toward all the dark things that I simply associate with the Place. Thank you for understanding and supporting my desire to change my heart. :) @Nyki - You are the bright star in my life, Friend! Thank you for that wonderful defense! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am offended greatly, I mean your such a butt. How could you hate coming to cambridge high school , it was the best thing that could have ever happened to me. I mean before that I had only seen cowboy hats and boots and big belt buckles on tv. Sorry my smart attitude is not going to help anything along. Best of luck to you on your journey throughout this state.

    Happiness is within you, use the force!! Ok yeah I dont know.

    Brad

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey JC Dawn, who says I'm from MN? Who says my points were directed at your so called blog! Maybe they were directly directed at you! If you were trying to like MN you wouldn't write this BS, you'd try to find the good here. Like I said you need help, ever try optimism? You pestmistic, angry brat!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I don't think that critisism is very constructive.

    ReplyDelete
  11. To Anonymous A-hole(s),

    Are you one of those d-bags that yells obscenities at the screen when a character in a movie professes an opinion that you don't agree with? That's a rhetorical question. Of course you are. Also, your personal attacks are laughable, even more so when directed at an obviously intelligent person like jcdawn. Here's an idea. If you'd like your comments to be taken seriously, step out of your immature shoes and try to think somewhat intelligently before you speak. Otherwise, please reserve your stupid ass comments for someone else's blog. I'm now dumber after reading your idiotic retorts.

    ReplyDelete
  12. First of all,I totally agree with Nyki. People are lame. Second of all, You write so beautifully about such personal tragedy. I was almost in tears because I could relate so well. I'm not from MN either but, saw this kind of behavior all the time growing up where I'm from in IN. When I did move here as an adult, I never witnessed this Minnesota Nice everyone was talking about. And people who are ignorant enough that they can't even have an intelligent conversation, either for or against your view, are just that...ignorant.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great post, Jess. Each person creates their own worldview from their personal experiences. It's only through growth and maturity that we are able to look at our own opinions so candidly and with a better perspective. Some people never reach the point where they can take an objective look at their opinions and make modifications.

    I do find it very amusing that some people are so willing to publicly (or rather, anonymously, which is just so cowardly) display their own lack of maturity and growth by ranting against others/ The negative comments are laughable and just prove that there are sad, pathetic people who had a lot of free time on their hands.

    I'm looking forward to reading about your experiences.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you so much for the Annonymous friendly comments, Folks! I wish I knew your names so I could thank individualy.... To my "nemesis" (for that is what I'm now calling you...): You asked how I knew that you were a Minnesotan... 1) You said, "We don't want you here either!" You used the pronoun "WE". 2) And...What. Are you a Californian or a West Virginian, pissed off that I've had bad experiences in Minnesota? I mean, really? Weird. And how did you know that I even called you a Minnesotan? Are you on my FB list, where I posted "This Minnesotan left a nasty comment on my blog! Come and see!" My next post is going to be about YOU. Be sure to read it, Nemesis!

    ReplyDelete
  15. And thanks, Tiff! AWESOME comment! :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. If only we can get our own heads out of our own butts long enough to realize how we treat eachother(and that goes for all people of all states). Holy crap I have never even sat back and thought about it being a problem here. Not all of us are completely out and rude, but a fair share of us are to busy in our own life to care about being polite to others.

    I cant say I have not played on both sides of the fence, but reading this makes me hope I have been far more polite then not.

    Again best of wishes to you, I hope you do find love for this state and the people in it. Just remember summertime deet is good and wintertime heat is good.

    Brad

    ReplyDelete
  17. I wrote it like I did so "JC Dawn" could understand it....like a two year old. I maybe annonymous, but you aren't to me. I know you well, scary ha? I know that you still live with your mommy and daddy at your age. You have no education past a highschooler and that your "career" is being a babysitter. Your where your at because of the life you've chose. At least years ago you had faith, now you've disowned that as well as others for your selfish behavior. I could care less what others have to say about my comments. Iy's you that needs to change in a huge way. Look in the mirror and tell me if you really like what you see.

    ReplyDelete
  18. No, Brad, not EVERYONE here is rude. Definately not! But Minnesota boasts about their "Minnesota Nice" and it is just so.... NOT TRUE. Just in general, of course.
    And thanks, Brad, for the wishes. :)

    Well said, Ty.

    ReplyDelete
  19. "I hated that damn Confederate flag… flailing in the breeze going down the road…." ...yup, I get that, f'en idiots, get over it, the only place a Confederate Flag belongs in on 'General Lee', that's it.

    "I hated those giant pick-ups"....WHAT??? Come on Jess, the bigger the better!

    LOVE what you wrote, as usual, sorry it took me so long to get around to reading it!

    You are a much bigger person than I, cause I would LOVE to meet "Anonymous A-Hole"...just to knock a few teeth out, maybe have their jaw wired shut.

    OH, NOVEL IDEA, YOU DON'T LIKE WHAT SOMEONE WROTE, STOP F'ING READING A'HOLE....guess that would require common sense!

    Love ya Jess :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Dear "Nemesis",

    I realize your an ignorant prat so I'll try to say this in the simplest terms. You picked the wrong fight. Go ahead, stay anonymous. Jess has an army behind her and no amount of dumpster guts that come out of your mouth will shake her up. Thanks for volunteering your thoughts and confirming everything she's said in her blog.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wow, not really sure how to respond to this. I guess growing up in Minnesota, I have become blind to much of the rudeness. As I read your post, I realized how much of it I too have experienced... I know who you are Jess and love you for that. I hope that I can go with you on some of your adventures. It amazes me that people are so willing to sling the mud at you when the reality is that all that you wrote about was how YOU didn't handle things how you wished you would have, and now you are making those changes. I am very proud of you and encourage you to continue writing. I have read many things that I don't agree with, but I am still glad they have been written! As for "BABYSITTING", umm... I know that is soooooo far from what you really do! Love you Jess! - Dana H.

    ReplyDelete
  22. ANGELA......I know who are too.....even scarier huh?!

    Watch out........MN to the rescue!!!!!!

    Let the battle begin...ready Kyle, I'm with you? Love ya Jessie!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Good guess but wrong answer! Bring it on! I'll be patiantly waiting for your next Blog 'O' Shit! Muahahahahahaha!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Dear Nemesis,

    A lesson in grammar: "your" is possessive. As in, "You should not take out your petty jealousies on a blogger who is so much more eloquent than you ."

    "You're" is the contraction of the words "you" and "are." As in, "You're an ignoramus with obvious psychological issues."

    I'm sure that JC Dawn, high school graduate, would gladly help you improve your exceedingly elementary grammar and writing skills by reading her well-written blog daily.

    Sincerely,

    Tiffany

    ReplyDelete
  25. Petty "Tiffany"! Aren't you a babysitter too?

    ReplyDelete
  26. Actually, she's a Bio-Engineer.....but good guess...

    ReplyDelete
  27. Nemesis...you do realize that this blog has nothing to do with you right? That you aren't worth writing about. That your idiotic attempts will not deter the purpose or journey of this clever and witty author...right? Just checking.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Can I just say that I so LOVE that you have a nemesis!!!!!!!!!! You are truly my HERO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Hint: You have no accountability for your behavior Ms Perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  30. LMFAO, you obviously aren't too bright, I wouldn't chase you, that would be a waste of effort, but I guarantee the end result would be the same.

    What are you 12? "You couldn't catch me..." Grow up.

    ReplyDelete
  31. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

Merlin's Rest

My Minnesota in Winter

The Renaissance Festival

The Renaissance Festival

Stink Bugs and Apples

Poison Ivy

Poison Ivy

Skin damage from the poison ivy and the meds

Apple River Hideaway

The Hairy Mosquito

Roseau MN

Pioneer Days '10

My Minnesota